Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Queen Bee

Burch Pharmacy and Gifts is one of the last independent drugstores still standing in Minneapolis. It may actually be the last. I strenuously hope that isn't the case, not because I'm nostalgic* or sentimental**, but because Burch's crappy selection of health and beauty products is cramping my experiment. I went there this evening in search of moisturizer and allergy medication. The moisturizer, they didn't have. The allergy medication, they did, but the cost seemed outrageous considering the everyday low price my mom gets on jumbo boxes of the stuff at Wal-Mart.

As a stand-in for my tried and true SPF 15 moisturizer, I bought a jar of "day creme with royal jelly" that's "98.20% natural," whatever that means. Wikipedia says royal jelly is a "bee secretion", so, like, who wouldn't want to smear it all over their face? I'll forgo the allergy medication until I find a better supplier or until my sinuses rupture, whichever comes first. In the meantime, if you see Freddy Krueger blowing his seasonally allergic nose, don't be alarmed. It's probably just me, disfigured by my day cream. At least fedoras are in this season.

*I'm not remotely geriatric enough to remember when local drugstores were the norm, though I think I've seen them a time or two on the teevee set.

**I am a cold-hearted capitalist.

2 comments:

Frodo said...

So I was trying to think of an independent drug store and I think if you live in a city you are nearly shit out of luck. You need to move to one of those small towns where people cling to guns and bibles.
So I guess for Christmas you want a jumbo pack of allergy medicine?

Frodo said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/22/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/22ctdrugstores.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/D/Drugstores

Check out that link...just goes to show you how pervasive and insipid chains are.