Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Coffee Crawl Wednesday: Wilde Roast Cafe

If I had a more sophisticated palate, I'd talk about the coffee. If I had a more sophisticated education, I'd talk about the art. Suffice it to say that the Wilde Roast Cafe is pleasant and Victorian and its menu is extensive and contemporary, and that I like both the coffee and the art. I have a weakness for portraiture, as I imagine Oscar Wilde must have--what else could possess a man to write an entire novel about a portrait? Wilde can't be faulted for his appreciation of the form; the Victorians were too busy playing croquet to deconstruct art. If I'd ever bothered to take an art history class, I'd probably know that portraits are a tool of the bourgeois and that the bourgeois are a bunch of tools. Thank god I'm so unsophisticated: just look at her gorgeous earrings.



Wilde Roast Cafe
518 East Hennepin Ave.
612.331.4544

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How are the prices so far in this challenge? I've noticed all the small grocery stores in my neighborhood typically charge $0.50-$1.00 more than the grocery store chains, and I was wondering if this also is the case in non-grocery-type places.

Abby said...

The prices are definitely higher, but I'm not sure how much higher. I'm hanging on to my receipts and am going to do a cost breakdown at some point in the future, after I've gathered enough data. I'm such a diligent little pseudo-scientist.

Frodo said...

Just don't let this receipt/cost study go the same way as your ice cream project.