Monday, September 1, 2008

Day 1 of 365: The First Non-Chain Purchase



My first act of non-chain consumerism wasn't much of a challenge. I bought a loaf of bread, a bag of cat food, a bottle of Gatorade, and a box of Cheez-Its at Third Avenue Food Market, just down the block from my building. I shop there all the time. To the novice Third Ave Marketeer, the place might seem a little shady: it's grimy, poorly-lit, and located just north of a corner where a person who was so inclined could probably find a crack whore, or some crack. But the staff is wonderful, and much-beloved by neighborhood association-types because they keep the sidewalk clean and contribute food for local events. In addition to selling groceries, Third Avenue Market also pedals gyros, has a copy machine, and rents out videos. I have to love it.

8 comments:

Frodo said...

Go Abby go! I think this is great, good luck.
Thank goodness you don't own a car b/c you could never escape chain gas stations.
Are you having Target withdrawals?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Not that I expect one, but if you get me a present for Christmas, please let it be something from the Third Avenue Food Market. Or maybe some of the crack from down the street. It would give a whole new meaning to "White Christmas". Good luck with shopping small!

Unknown said...

Whenever I'm in 3rd Ave. Market, I get the unsettling feeling that the food is spoiled. I think it's the poor lighting. Also, you can get single cigarettes there (don't tell anyone, though - apparently it's illegal).

rog said...

Abby,

I think you lead a very romantic life, in a bolshevik sort of way. I'll have to look up this little grocery store, but I will pass on the crack.

Love, Auntie Rog

Jes Z said...

Great Scott! She's at it again! Does the "Hastronome" count? j/k No really,rock on. Jessica F. says hello...

Unknown said...

Dear Cuz,
Love the Idea. I can't wait to see how the whole ordeal unfolds. Girl this gonna be better than my stories! My brother may have an issue with the Target boycott, but I say rock on wit yo bad self!

John Lo.

Unknown said...

Don't you work across the street from a Chipotle and a Panera? Well good luck with all that. Geez, I wouldn't want to be so close to good food like that but not be able to eat it. If this endeavor of yours does nothing else, you've at least made me thankful that some time in the next 365 days I know I'll have a Chipotle Burrito.