Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mel's Diner

Okay, here's a confession: I wait tables part-time. Here's another confession: I store pens in my hairdo and I chew a lot of gum. Basically, this is me.

If those behaviors are waitressy, than I'm a waitress even when I'm at my real job. I can chew half a pack a day, easy, and I was worried that it would be hard to find gum near my office. (The huge Lunds down the street was my pre-unchained supplier.) But, lo and behold, there's an independent grocer on the next block: Galapagos Market, at 420 East Hennepin. I had to speak Spanish to get my chicle, but I didn't mind. They also have boligrafos for sale. Que buena suerte!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well kiss my grits! Do you also speak with that sultry southern accent like Flo?

Unknown said...

Is there anything in your manifesto against ordering directly from the manufacturer? Could you call up Wrigley's and order a case?

Frodo said...

I don't know if I would call it sultry more like trashy. If only I could get a clip of Tammy Rae up on the blogger. Do you know what would really help you in this quest? Kiosks. Ukrainians and other less-developed countries don't know how good they have it. I love how hard it is to not shop at a chain store in the US but how easy it was in Ukraine.

Abby said...

Michael: Of course I've got the accent down. As Frodo mentioned, I have a Southern alter-ego. Her name is Tammy Rae DeLaSousa. Remind me to tell you about her sometime.

Josh: Seems contrary to the spirit of the experiment. I am also not asking small retailers to order things for me. Part of the point of this whole thing is to see how easy or difficult it is for the average person to avoid chains. I am assuming the average person wouldn't order a crate of gum from Wrigley's.

Frodo: You love it! Also--I might be going to Sambir in November. I'll tell you about it later.