Monday, September 15, 2008

Coffee Crawl Monday: Aster Cafe


I've walked past the Aster Cafe hundreds of times, but this is the first time I've been in. It won't be the last. The place is gorgeous. Soft lighting. Leather sofas. A piano in the corner, currently sitting idle. Outside, on the fenced-in patio, a trio of lumberjackish men are talking quietly. Without beard or flannel to keep me warm, I thought it best to stay indoors. Though the Aster Cafe has sandwiches, soups, desserts, beer, and wine, I'm drinking just a cup of coffee. (It's only ten-thirty. I stopped boozing in the morning when I stopped teaching high school.)

Unfortunately, the place is nearly empty. I reckon I've caught them between the morning and the noon rush. The only other customers are a pair of fiftysomething women, both wearing dangly jewelry and outdated hairstyles. They look like middle-school art teachers; I can't tell what they're drinking.

Aster Cafe
125 Main Street SE
612-379-3138



No comments: