Sunday, September 7, 2008

Central Perk

Today's Wi-Fi connection (full disclosure: I have broadband at home and at my office, and it's provided by Qwest) comes to us courtesy of The Boiler Room Cafe on south Third Avenue. It's my version of Central Perk. No Gunther, though. According to Wikipedia, he's still coasting on his Friends fame:


Mojtaba Asadian started a "Central Perk" franchise, registering the name in 32 countries. The decor of his coffee houses is inspired by that in Friends. James Michael Tyler, who plays Gunther, the Central Perk waiter in love with Rachel, attended the grand opening of the flagship Dubai cafe and is the spokesman for the company.

Evidently, the store has only one other location, in Geneva, which means it's not a chain. Ergo, if I find myself in Switzerland or the 'Emirates during the next 51 weeks, I am sooooooooo stopping in for a latte. Just in case, I'd better hoof it down to an indie salon and get myself a Rachel. I like to be prepared for all eventualities.




1 comment:

Jes Z said...

Geneva, Emrates, and Minneapolis? What a diverse start! According to my democracies class, Iran, Saudia Arabia, and Emirates are the top three oil-rich countries with the lowest rates of "freedom" on the New York "Freedom House" scale. Ironically, I've noticed that this has not stopped Versace, Gucci, and a plethora of others from doing business in Dubai. Is it possible to combine an embargo on chain stores with a geopolitical embargo? Or, are we too deeply entrenched???