Friday, October 10, 2008

Crack

It's been a month and a half since I last shopped at a chain store, and I'm starting to crack. Where will I get ink for my printer? Who will sell me airline-approved travel containers for an upcoming flight to Ukraine? What was I thinking when I started this stupid experiment? How come "A Year Shopping Small" sounds so much better than "Two Weeks of Shopping Small" or "Just Over A Month of Shopping Small"? Why oh why oh why did Target just send me the most fabulous cookware brochure?

Isn't life tough enough? Why am I making things harder for myself? Aren't I too young to be this eccentric?

There is a silver lining, though. When I'm in Ukraine in November, I'm totally stocking up on cheap socks and underwear at the bazaar: an unchainder in an unchained land.

3 comments:

Frodo said...

ink for your printer? There has to be an independent office supply store near by. And in the next year we are going to be able to take on liquids on the plane:http://www.smartbrief.com/news/gtg/storyDetails.jsp?issueid=A7773BDE-EE89-4A2E-850E-39B3969D62B4&copyid=596F2422-12DF-4CF4-8F03-6C4884E0E0FE
Besides that your experiment doesn't ban you from stealing. I say do a quick run into Target and take what you need then run out!
Oh and have you tried googling what you are looking for and using the user generated content on google maps? It can get you the local businesses.
Good luck and enjoy the land of the Rinok.

Abby said...

I've actually had a lot of trouble finding an independent office supply store. Where did they all go? I can get the basics--pens, paper, notebooks--almost anywhere, but printer ink is just specialized enough to cause trouble. I love your stealing idea! When my grand theft case goes to trial, I'm calling you as a character witness.

Jacie said...

Don't steal from Target!
Why are you heading to Ukraine?