Monday, October 20, 2008

Chicago

I just returned from a weekend trip to Chicago to see my Peace Corps comrades. I stayed with my friend Laney Heston (names have been changed to protect innocent). Laney lives in the adorable Lincoln Square neighborhood, in a spartan apartment in which she hoards Ziplock bags and deli containers just like your grandmother does. The recession is upon us, and Laney is ready for it.

I knew when I began this experiment that travel would present a challenge, but Chicago was no threat to my unchained life. It's an awesome city, with plenty to offer the indie consumer. I cheated only twice, once to buy a cup of coffee at a Dunkin' Donuts at 6am (you can't blame me for not wanting to wander the Loop in the dark when a Dunkin' was across the street from my bus stop) and once for tampons at a Walgreens. Sometimes you've just got to take care of business, you know?

On Saturday, we went to a matinee at Second City (which I would not consider a chain even though it has outposts in a handful of cities.) Naturally, all I can think about now is moving to Chicago to devote my life to sketch comedy. Quick, people, talk me out of it.

1 comment:

Frodo said...

Where are the photos of this Laney Heston, Betsy, Katie and Ms. Theume?
I love how you went to Duncan Doughnuts. You should just carry a few packets of instant coffee around with you. Pick them up when you are in Ukraine.